Usually stuffed peppers are topped with cheese.
I decided to put fresh mozzarella inside the peppers instead.
The recipe says ‘2 or 3 peppers’ because I have no idea how big your peppers will be. Sometimes they are huge and other times small…. Decide for yourself how much you want.
If you have meat and pasta left after filling the peppers, just keep it warm and serve it on the side.
Or eat it while you wait.
Or save it for lunch.
So many choices…..
Click here to Pin Stuffed Red PeppersPrint
Stuffed Red Peppers
We stuff peppers a lot of different ways – this is our current favorite.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Vegetables
- 8oz (240gr) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/3 cup acini di’pepe pasta (peppercorn) aka Israeli couscous,
- 15oz (450gr) whole, peeled tomatoes, chopped, with juices.
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup beef stock
- 2 – 3 nicely shaped bell peppers, cut in half, seeds removed
- 8 – 10 mini mozzarella balls, cut in half
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) tomato sauce
- Put a large pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil.
- When water is boiling drop peppers in and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove, drain, and put into a baking dish.
- In skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, celery and onion and sauté until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, chili powder and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add beef and sauté until cooked through breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add tomatoes, herbs, pasta and 1/3 cup beef stock to skillet. Stir well.
- Turn heat to medium and simmer until pasta is done, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently and adding more stock if necessary.
- Divide mozzarella between peppers.
- When meat mixture is ready spoon into the pepper halves, on top of the mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes at 400F (200C).
- Remove foil, top with tomato sauce and bake, uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
I make stuffed peppers and winter squash often during the fall so I divide the ground beef into the right portion and freeze.
Keywords: stuffed pepper, red peppers
A few days ago I finally got out my fall jacket. It was getting a bit brisk in the morning walking the dogs and I decided it was time to put away the shorts and tank tops for longer pants and t-shirts.
Today I almost got out my winter parka.
The meteo assures me that this cold spell will be short before we return to proper fall weather so I refrained.
Our walks, however, were short…. which was okay because it was raining and they don’t like rain.
Mon mari was happy to have finished the pool deck (almost) before we lost the good weather.
One of the last things he did was to cut through the railing on our old deck. We can now walk out of the house and down to the pool.
Just in time for winter…..
Which means it was easy to walk around the pool for a photo.
There’s still a bit of tidying up to do, and, of course, some trim, but for the most part, it’s finished.
We are most pleased.