Yes, there is a lot of butter, but this serves 4 and it’s a ‘special occasion’ dish. We can all indulge occasionally.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 medium potatoes, 24oz, 720gr, peeling optional
- salt & pepper, optional – I use salted butter
- Clarify butter: Melt butter in a small pan over low heat just so that it is melted.
- You will notice the white milk solids in the butter. Using a small spoon skim off as much of the floating milk solids as you can.
- Then carefully pour the clear (mostly) butter into a glass measuring cup, leaving behind the remaining solids.
- Using a basting brush and some of the clarified butter, generously butter the inside of a round, glass baking dish. Mine is 8″ (20cm) in diameter.
- Slice the potatoes into paper thin slices, using a mandolin, box slicer, food processor, or a sharp knife.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with a layer of potato, brush very lightly with butter.
- Add a layer of potato, brush with butter.
- Repeat until you have used all of the potatoes.
- If you use salt & pepper put a little on the middle and top layers.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake in 400F (200C) oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove, and let rest for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Invert on to a large plate – it should retain it’s shape.
- Slice and serve..
I don’t bother peeling the potatoes but purists would be appalled.
Clarifying butter is a bit fussy but not at all difficult.
Keywords: potatoes, potatoes anna, pommes anna