Sausage & Butternut Squash Phyllo Pie
Purchased phyllo makes this an easy and fun ‘pie’.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pizza, Pies, and Quiches
- 6 sheets phyllo
- 1 – 2 tbs olive oil
- 8oz (250gr) sausages, sliced 1/2″ (1.5cm) thick
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10oz (300gr) butternut squash or pumpkin, roasted
- 2oz (60gr) feta, crumbled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) crème fraîche, plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) milk
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, sausage, and sauté 10 minutes, until onions are tender and sausage cooked through.
- Drain any excess oil.
- Add herbs, paprika and set aside
- Whisk eggs, milk and crème fraîche, Set aside
- Lightly oil a 9″ (22 cm) pie or quiche plate.
- Working quickly, and keeping remaining phyllo sheets covered:
- Lay one sheet of phyllo flat and lightly brush all over with olive oil
- Place in quiche plate and, using the side of your hand, shape it to fit the inside, leaving the edges hang over the side.
- Repeat with remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, placing each one at a ‘1/6 turn’ of the quiche plate.
- Spread butternut squash on the crust.
- Spread sausage and onion on the squash
- Top with feta.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Loosely fold the edges of the phyllo over the top. Mine did not cover to the center.
- Bake, 400F (200C) for 35 – 40 minutes, or until top is set.
- Remove and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Remember to keep unused / waiting phyllo sheets covered as they dry out quickly.
It’s easier to handle if you put the pie on a baking sheet before filling.
Keywords: phyllo, pie, butternut squash