When I was young and foolish (and broke) my favorite breakfast after a night out was Spaghettio’s with extra chili powder.
Yes, you read that correctly….
In my defense, when I was in college, our dorm rooms did not have kitchens and we were only allowed a coffee-maker and a popcorn popper. We had a kitchen available, but it was on a different floor. We soon learned that many foods can be heated sufficiently in most electrical appliances.
My coffee maker never made coffee but it heated a lot of soup…. and spaghettio’s.
I still crave slightly spicy, tomato-based foods when I have over-indulged, although now my over-indulgence tends to be on special occasions and is foie gras rather than beer.
And I can cook in a kitchen.
Click here to Pin Sausage, Pasta and Butternut SquashPrint
Sausage, Pasta and Butternut Squash
This is almost a skillet dinner – the pasta is cooker separately. Still – it’s quick and easy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- Method: Skillet
- 12oz (360gr) sausages, sliced into 1/2″ (1cm) lengths
- 10oz (300gr) butternut squash, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cups (15oz, 450gr) whole tomatoes, peeled, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 1/4 cup (4oz, 125gr) pasta penne, rigatoni, fusilli
- Cook pasta according to package instructions but remove and drain 1 – 2 minutes before done.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add paprika, cumin, and sauté briefly.
- Add sausage, squash, garlic, and sauté until sausage starts to brown, 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, their juices, oregano, and bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add drained pasta, turn heat to medium and cook, uncovered, a few more minutes, until pasta and squash are done and sauce has thickened.
- Serve from skillet.
Add the pasta to the skillet to finish cooking thickens the sauce and adds flavor to the pasta.
Keywords: sausage, pasta, butternut squash
I had hoped, foolishly, I know, that when I opened up the editor today the problems I had on my last post would have miraculously repaired themselves.
Well, if one thinks about it, they appeared on their own…. why couldn’t they disappear just as easily?
I must adjust.
It;’s not like I don’t enjoy learning new things… I do.
Actually, I love new challenges and new projects.
I just don’t like being forced into it.
I also don’t like learning computer stuff on the computer.
YouTube videos are fantastic for learning things like new knitting stitches, or new art techniques or just about anything that one is not doing on the computer.
For learning computer stuff I prefer books. I don’t like having to flip between the screen that is teaching me and the screen that I am practicing / learning on.
I suppose I could get a second monitor, but that seems a bit like overkill…..
My plan is to continue being disgruntled but to stop complaining about it and just get on with it.
I really wished they had gotten the bugs out before forcing it on me, though….
On another note….. Mon mari was very helpful this year with the Christmas decorations:
Merry Christmas a day late! I hope it was filled with love and joy.
And good food.