I did this in my small slow cooker – it was just big enough.
Yes, I know all the experts say to brown everything first and pre-heat the slow cooker and do this and do that….
To be honest, I just can’t be bothered.
I use the slow cooker when I want to toss dinner together in 15 minutes (or less) and forget about it until it’s time to eat.
I don’t want to be bothered with a lot if prep work…. If I’m going to do all that I might as well just do it at dinner time and finish it on the stove top.
I forgot…. I usually stir it and hour or two before the end of cooking time to meld the flavors.
That’s something the experts say to never do.
I’m failing ‘Slow Cooker 101’.
Fortunately, we are always happy with the results.
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken, Winter Squash
Total time: 7 hours
- 6 chicken thighs, skinned
- 10oz (300gr) butternut or other winter squash, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- Combine squash, onion, garlic, ginger, herbs, spices and tapioca.
- Put in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with chicken, fitting it in carefully.
- Combine mustard and chicken stock. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low, 7 hours. Stir once after 4 or 5 hours if possible
- Remove chicken, vegetables to a platter and serve.
We went to the Christmas market in Bordeaux today.
I love Christmas markets.
They are different from country to country and city to city.
The markets in Germany and Austria tend to be filled with sweet treats to eat, decorations for the house and tree, lots of candles and, of course, things to give.
Spanish markets tend to focus on nativity scenes.
French markets are geared to the Christmas shopper.
There are stalls of jewelry, scarves, fancy soaps and foods, warm blankets and jackets…
This year there was even a Yankee Candle booth.
At the Bordeaux Christmas market.
But this was my favorite.
I love it when I find new, unique stuff….
All of these bags are made from cork. They are as soft and pliable as high-quality leather, waterproof, durable and beautiful.
There were belts, wallets and jewelry as well, He calls it ‘vegetable leather’.
I was tempted…..