This recipes makes a lot of soup…. But we have a lot of pumpkins.
Our pumpkins are big and meaty and I’m running out of time. I’ve started leaving them on doorsteps and in front of gates….
I did a bit of googling for soup ideas, which is where I got the idea to add pumpkin purée to the finished soup to thicken it. It worked wonderfully, adding body and flavor. to the ‘tomato broth’.
If you are using fresh pumpkin for the purée just cut it into chunks and cook it in a bit of water while the soup is cooking. It will take 15 – 20 minutes, Then purée in a blender.
This will serve 10 – 12.
Click here to Pin Ham, Bean, and Pumpkin SoupPrint
Ham, Bean, and Pumpkin Soup
I add pumpkin to almost everything this time of year…. to use up my stash and because it’s good for us.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 – 12 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 14oz (400gr) ham
- 6 cups (45oz, 1350gr) whole tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 4 tbs tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups (30oz, 900gr) red beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 1/2 cups (30oz, 900gr) white beans, drained, rinsed
- 6 cups (24oz, 750gr) fresh pumpkin, cubed
- 1 3/4 cups (15oz, 450gr) pumpkin purée
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups (32oz, 1000ml) beef stock
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- Heat oil in large soup pot or Dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery, pepper, garlic, and sauté until tender.
- Add spices and sauté briefly.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except ham and pumpkin purée, cover and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add ham, pumpkin purée and simmer 5 minutes longer. Serve.
This is a pantry soup, so there is no long simmering….. Just enough time to get the veggies cooked through.
Keywords: ham, bean, pumpkin, hearty soup
I think that it would freeze well (I always freeze bean soups) but I don’t know as we ate it all – first for dinner with popovers, then every day for lunch until it was gone
When I was looking for ideas I found a lot of recipes for Pumpkin Chili.
I don’t like to appropriate well-known recipe names, and if I do, I try to clarify – as in Potato-crusted Quiche, rather than just Quiche.
I find it irritating when a recipe is not what the title suggests it should be so I try not to do it.
It’s not Cheesecake if it has no cream cheese in it….
This soup would not qualify as ‘Chili’.
But it was really good.
I was tempted to add barley to it…. But decided we didn’t need the additional carbs.