Lamb Shanks in Red Wine, Slow Cooker
The slow cooker does a wonderful job on flavorful lamb shanks, rendering them fall-apart tender.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours, 40 minutes
- Total Time: 8 Hours
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Lamb
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 2 tsp dried
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) red wine
- 1 tbs olive oil
- optional – if needed: 2 tsp instant tapioca or 1 tbs cornstarch
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet. Add lamb shanks and brown on all sides, Remove to slow cooker.
- Add onions, celery, garlic, to skillet and sauté briefly.
- Add tomato paste and sauté briefly.
- Add stock, wine and heat to simmering, stirring to combine.
- Add herbs and tapioca to slow cooker.
- Pour contents of skillet over lamb.
- Cover and cook, low heat, 7 1/2 – 8 hours, turning shanks half way through cooking time
- Check 30 minutes before serving and if sauce needs to be thickened add 2 tsp instant tapioca or 1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water.
- When ready, remove to a platter and serve.
Our lamb shanks were large – a bit more than enough for 2 people, but not enough for 3. Leftovers for lunch.
Keywords: lamb shanks, slow cooker