Polenta and Cheese Timbales
This are a bit fancy and perfect for an elegant dinner party for two.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dishes
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (1.5oz, 45gr) polenta, quick-cooking
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil for ramekins
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium and continue cooking until nicely brown and starting to caramelize.
- Heat stock to boiling in a small saucepan.
- Add polenta, whisking constantly – or it will have little volcanic eruptions spewing polenta all over your stove.
- Turn heat down and cook about 5 minutes (or whatever your package tells you), stirring constantly.
- When done, remove from heat and stir in shallots.
- Put 1 tsp oil in each of 2 ramekins; brush around the bottom and sides.
- Divide 1/3 of the polenta evenly between the 2 ramekins.
- Sprinkle each with 1/3 of the cheese, divided.
- Repeat these 2 layers twice more, ending with the cheese on top.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet, cover loosely with foil, and bake for 10 minutes, 400F (200C).
- Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Remove and let rest a minutes or two.
- Run a knife around the edges of the ramekin. Put a plate on top and tip over, releasing the timbale onto the plate. Serve.
Quick-cooking polenta is ready in just 5 minutes.
Keywords: polenta, shallots, timbales