Can one turn orange from eating winter squash?
I’ve heard that one can turn orange from eating carrots….
Orange is not a good color for me.
When we lived in the US we used to buy whole turkey tenderloins, which we either roasted whole or cut up for stir-fries.
Here we buy turkey cutlets which are quite large, thin slices of turkey breast meat. They are great on the grill in summer, cooking in seconds.
In winter we use them in stir-fries, risotto, etc.
Use whatever you like turkey, chicken, tofu….
Click here to Pin Turkey, Butternut Squash Stir FryPrint
Turkey, Butternut Squash Stir Fry
Use turkey, chicken, tofu…. But a whole butternut squash (more recipes in Index) or already cut pieces in the supermarket. Keep life easy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken & Turkey
- Method: Stir-Fry
- 10oz (300gr) turkey cutlets or tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs minced ginger substitute 1/2 tsp ground
- 1 rib celery, sliced
- 2 cups (8oz, 250gr) butternut squash, cut into small bite-size chunks
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs Teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 3 tbs dry sherry
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 150ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs cornstarch (Maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) Basmati rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock or whatever your rice calls for
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, squash to skillet and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and stir-fry another 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tsp oil, soy sauce to pan and heat.
- Add turkey and stir-fry 3 – 5 minutes, until golden.
- Return vegetables to pan.
- Add Teriyaki sauce and stir-fry briefly.
- Add chicken stock, orange juice, sherry and stir to combine.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Remove cover, increase heat and stir in cornstarch mixture until thickened.
- Rice: Cook in stock according to package instructions. Fluff and serve.
Butternut squash is quickly peeled using a standard vegetable (potato) peeler.
Keywords: turkey, stir-fry, butternut squash
Speaking of tofu (see above)… I’ve never eaten it.
It’s not something that I don’t want to eat… I’ve just never had an opportunity.
I have actually found recipes that sounded good and gone in search of it, but, of course, couldn’t find it. (That was before I found the big Asian Market.)
Mon mari has no interest whatsoever in me substituting tofu for meat or cheese or anything else, so that rather limits my efforts.
He also has no interest in eating it in any form for any reason…. And, no, he hasn’t tried it either.
Next time we go to an Asian buffet I’ll look for it.
Of course we only do that once every few years….
We content ourselves with the nem truck at the market.