Our chickens appear to be getting bigger.
Back in the beginning of time, when I first started being creative in the kitchen, I used to skin and bone chicken breasts.
Yes, boys and girls, there was a time when one could not buy pre-packaged, skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
Or at least one couldn’t buy then where I lived.
At that time one chicken breast was a perfect size for one person, about 5oz (150gr).
Then the chickens started growing.
I don’t know how much a chicken breast in the US weighs currently, but I would guess closer to 10oz (300gr) – or enough for two people.
When we moved here I started boning and skinning chicken breasts again, but not for long.
We were soon able to buy them, pre-packaged, weighing about 5oz (150gr) each.
Apparently the chickens on this side of the pond are experiencing a growth spurt.
The breasts are getting bigger…. So are the thighs.
I used to make six thighs for the two of us. Now I make five because two is plenty for me.
Why am I telling you this? Because the recipe calls for 4 – 6 thighs. Use as many as you like.
As to the Marsala – if you don’t have it you can substitute sherry, white wine or use more chicken stock.
Click here to Pin Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Slow CookerPrint
Chicken Thighs with Mushrooms, Slow Cooker
You could use thighs and legs if you prefer. I made 5 thighs.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 4 – 6 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 medium onion, vertically sliced
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbs tapioca
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) Marsala wine
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- Combine onion, garlic, celery, mushrooms, thyme, tapioca, and Marsala.
- Put in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with chicken, fitting it in carefully.
- Combine mustard, paprika, and chicken stock. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low, 6 1/2 hours. Turn chicken and stir once after 4 or 5 hours if possible
- Remove chicken to a platter.
- Stir yogurt into mushroom sauce, spoon over chicken and serve.
I stir once, part way through, but it’s not necessary.
Keywords: chicken thighs, slow cooker, mushrooms
In local news I would like to announce that bunnies have returned to our lane. Not as many as last year, thankfully, but enough to give the girls something to bark at and the occasional run around the field.
Our local farmer planted winter wheat this year, and, unlike other years, the crop seems to be growing right up to the edge of the field, In past years the rabbits ate everything within 10 feet of the edge.
On the other hand there were six deer grazing in the middle of all that nice wheat when I came home this afternoon.
Life in the country…..