I just can’t seem to avoid orange vegetables….
After five months of winter squashes I ended up putting carrots in with the slow cooker chicken.
In my defense I have no idea how broccoli or cauliflower work in the slow cooker and I had another purpose for the cabbage.
But my 3 weeks of buying other vegetables ended today….
There was asparagus at the market.
That means I’ll buy enough for the weekend on Fridays when I do the shopping – and mon mari will go to the local market on his way to class Monday mornings and pick up enough for the rest of the week.
Asparagus season is short – we make the most of it.
Chicken Thighs with Carrots, Slow Cooker
Total time: 7 hours
- 4 – 6 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, cleaned, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced, cut in half
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs minced fresh ginger
- 3 tbs peanut butter
- 2 tsp paprika, divided
- 1 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock, divided
- Put all vegetables plus tapioca in the slow cooker.
- Combine 1/2 cup stock, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin and stir into vegetables.
- Top with chicken, fitting it in carefully.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup stock, 1 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cumin and 3 tbs peanut butter
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low, 6 1/2 hours. Turn chicken and stir once after 4 or 5 hours if possible
- Remove chicken to a platter, spoon vegetables and sauce over and serve.
Asparagus is not the first harbinger of spring.
I have hyacinth blooming.
I have to plant them close to the fence so the dogs don’t trample them during their ‘patrols’.
Two days ago the plum trees behind the forsythia were solid white with flowers. The wind and rain wiped them out before it cleared up enough for a photo.
We’ve had wind, rain, sun, repeat for a week. Tomorrow is supposed to be lovely, then back to March.