This is another recipe who’s origins are lost in the mists of time.
I made it with traditional ‘white’ cabbage when we lived in the US but now I use green or Savoy cabbage – because that is what I can get.
One of the things I noticed with the photo…. my home-grown tomatoes from the freezer don’t have the bright red, thick sauce like purchased canned tomatoes do.
So unless you have tomatoes in your freezer there is a good chance your finished dish will look more tomato-y.
Might I just say: Who cares? Not important in the overall scheme of things.
Click here to Pin Sausage and Cabbage PastaPrint
Sausage and Cabbage Pasta
There is a lot of cabbage in a ‘head’ and when one is cooking for two one learns to be creative. This is always one of the dishes I make when I buy a cabbage.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- 10oz (300gr) sausages, sliced 1/2″ thick (1cm)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tbs rubbed sage or 15 fresh leaves
- 1 tbs paprika, smoky or sweet
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes, peeled, chopped, juices saved
- 1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup pasta – penne, rigatoni, fusilli
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add paprika and sauté 1 minute.
- Add onion, garlic and cabbage and sauté 5 minutes or until starting to get tender.
- Add sausage and sage and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juices, turn heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until cabbage is done.
- Uncover, turn heat up and stir in vinegar.
- Add drained pasta and toss to mix well. Heat through and serve.
Use any type of sausage you like, or use bulk or ground beef.
Keywords: cabbage, pasta, sausage
Yesterday was a bit…. hectic.
But that story is for another day. I’m too tired to type it on this day.
I’ve been cleaning closets (no, that’s not why I’m tired).
When I lived and worked in the US I had a lot of clothes.
A LOT of clothes.
I’ve done three major purges since we moved and it’s time to finish up and get rid of the stuff I ‘couldn’t bear to part with’ the other times.
I mean, really, if I haven’t worn it in fifteen years….
Those styles are coming back!!!!!
Well – that reason doesn’t work.
I’m going with the ‘it’s too big’ reason and hoping that the weight I lost eight years ago continues to stay lost.
Of course that means that I have to try everything on which takes a long time and causes me to just want to keep it all.
Since I’m tired I decided to take a break today and watch Netflix. I’ve heard of Marie Kondo but I’ve never watched an episode.
I’m going to go do that now.
I’ll let you know if she inspires me.