We think of bay leaves as something that is used in tomato based dishes, but they have a wonderful flavor that works well with thyme.
Most people will use dried bay leaves and thyme leaves.
I have a huge laurel tree by the house so I just pick as needed.
Sadly, I had to use dried thyme.
Click here to Pin Chicken with Onions, Bay and ThymePrint
Chicken with Onions, Bay and Thyme
This is an easy, skillet main course of chicken breasts, braised in white wine and chicken stock, flavored with herbs and tomato
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves (laurel)
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena, corn flour) dissolved in 2 tbs chicken stock
- Sauté onion in oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes.
- When onion starts to brown add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Move onion and garlic to the sides of the pan, add chicken breasts, and sauté until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, bay leaf, wine, stock and tomato paste.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 15 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in chicken stock.
- Uncover skillet, increase heat and remove bay leaves.
- Remove chicken to small platter.
- Add cornstarch to onions and stir until sauce is thickened.
- Spoon onions around chicken and serve.
Serve with potatoes, pasta, rice or grains – very versatile.
Keywords: chicken, onions, thyme
I gave up my garden thyme to the bunnies, who insisted that they wanted to live under it. They won that fight.
I now have pots of thyme on the deck around the pool, which do very well – except right after I trimmed them all back for summer.
Poor planning on my part.
I have my computer back, finally, The problem was the board that had the extra USB ports. Why it took 3 days to figure that out I will never know.
The fact that the three days were on either side of the weekend meant that I was without my PC for 5 days.
I still had the list of things I was supposed to work on during those 5 days, however.
I am thrilled to have a full-size monitor and keyboard once again…. Even if it’s taken me hours to get it back to functioning the way I like it.
Mainly it was little things: the wrong monitor installed and the resolution HUGE; the Sticky Notes gone; software that needed reinstalling; etc.
I also needed it to finish setting up the new phones.
Anyone one of the above would have been a challenge – all three at once was just unfair.
Soon, my little world will be back to normal.
In the meantime, mon mari gave me a chocolate bunny.