We think of bay leaves as something that is used in tomato based dishes, but they have a wonderful flavor that works well with thyme.
Most people will use dried bay leaves and thyme leaves.
I have a huge laurel tree by the house so I just pick as needed.
Sadly, I had to use dried thyme.
I gave up my garden thyme to the bunnies, who insisted that they wanted to live under it. They won that fight.
I now have pots of thyme on the deck around the pool, which do very well – except right after I trimmed them all back for summer.
Poor planning on my part.
Chicken with Onions, Bay and Thyme
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 bay leaves (laurel)
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena, corn flour) dissolved in 2 tbs chicken stock
- Sauté onion in oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes.
- When onion starts to brown add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Move onion and garlic to the sides of the pan, add chicken breasts, and sauté until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in thyme, bay leaf, wine, stock and tomato paste.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 15 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in chicken stock.
- Uncover skillet, increase heat and remove bay leaves.
- Remove chicken to small platter.
- Add cornstarch to onions and stir until sauce is thickened.
- Spoon onions around chicken and serve.
I have my computer back, finally, The problem was the board that had the extra USB ports. Why it took 3 days to figure that out I will never know.
The fact that the three days were on either side of the weekend meant that I was without my PC for 5 days.
I still had the list of things I was supposed to work on during those 5 days, however.
I am thrilled to have a full-size monitor and keyboard once again…. Even if it’s taken me hours to get it back to functioning the way I like it.
Mainly it was little things: the wrong monitor installed and the resolution HUGE; the Sticky Notes gone; software that needed reinstalling; etc.
I also needed it to finish setting up the new phones.
Anyone one of the above would have been a challenge – all three at once was just unfair.
Soon, my little world will be back to normal.
In the meantime, mon mari gave me a chocolate bunny.