I could post a dozen photos detailing how I make meatballs, but, instead I’ll just tell you.
I use 12oz of ground beef because that is the size of the package here. If I was using 16oz, which is standard in the US (or was) I would increase the other ingredients by roughly 25%.
I initially mix everything using a fork or spoon.
I switch to my hands for the final mixing until it comes together smoothly.
I make a big ball; divide the big ball into 4 smaller balls and each smaller ball into 4 meatballs which I roll into shape – with my hands.
Start to to finish is less then 10 minutes.Print
These meatballs are packed with flavor with fresh ginger, soy sauce and Balsamic vinegar. Cook them right in the sauce for an easy dinner
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup crumbs
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs minced ginger, divided in half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided in half
- 1 onion, 3/4 chopped, 1/4 minced
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbs dried parsley, divided in half
- 1 tbs dried thyme, divided in half
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) red wine
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 4oz (120gr) linguine
- Cook pasta according to package directions. when done, drain.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat egg with a fork.
- Add bread crumbs, mustard, vinegar, soy sauce, half of the ginger, garlic, herbs and the 1/4 minced onion.
- Mix well, add beef, mix well.
- Form into meatballs, about 1.5″ (5cm) in diameter; you should get 16.
- In large skillet heat oils over medium heat.
- Add paprika and sauté briefly.
- Add remaining onion, garlic, ginger and pepper. Sauté until tender and onion is transparent, 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, soy sauce and remaining herbs.
- Heat to a simmer.
- Drop the meatballs in carefully, trying to keep them separate. Cover and simmer until meatballs are done, about 15 minutes. Stir once or twice.
- When pasta is done, drain and put into a large bowl.
- Pour meatballs and sauce over the top and serve.
I prefer cooking these small meatballs right in the sauce to add maximum flavor, You could bake first if you like – on a sheet pan, 400F (200C) for 10 – 15 minutes
Keywords: meatballs, spaghetti
I believe I posted about my tomato seeds not germinating.
Last week we had a spectacular spring day. We decided to go to the big garden store in Bordeaux, 90 minutes away.
But, as long as it was so nice, we decided to continue on, past Bordeaux to Arcachon, in search of moules frites (mussels and fries) on the beach.
We were successful.
After lunch we drove along the coast for a bit to see if we could get on the beach. We had to go the length of the Dune du Pilat
You can see the top of it past the trees. It’s the largest sand dune in Europe.
And it goes on forever…..
We drove along it for about 20 minutes, hoping to find a place to park and walk in.
We just caught glimpses of it through the trees.
We finally came to a beach and, looking back up the coast could see where it ended.
I guess if one wants to walk on the Dune du Pilat, with the other million or so visitors each year, one parks in the proper place and goes through the visitor center…
Maybe next time.
We did, eventually, get to the garden store.