Before Ikea made Swedish meatballs popular there were Lutefisk Feeds.
To be fair, Ikea made their meatballs popular all over the world and the Lutefisk Feeds only covered the Midwest…. and probably not much of the Midwest.
To those of us subjected to, but not fans of, lutefisk, the Swedish meatballs were greatly appreciated.
The Lutefisk Dinners were sponsored by local Lutheran churches. To get people to actually come to the Dinners, the good ladies of the church made huge vats of Swedish meatballs in addition to the lutefisk.
Even my Norwegian father, who ate everything, drew the line at lutefisk. (Although he ate it if pressed….)
I’ve never eaten an Ikea meatball so I have no idea how they compare. We’re happy with these.Print
Swedish Meatballs with Egg Noodles
These easy meatballs are finished with a creamy yogurt sauce and served on egg noodles
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups (4oz, 120gr) egg noodles
- 1 tbs butter
- Cook noodles or pasta according to package directions.
- When done, drain and toss with butter.
- In medium bowl combine onion, half of the dill, egg, bread crumbs and beef.
- Mix well and form into small meatballs, about 1″ (2.5cm) in diameter. You should have about 16 meatballs
- In a medium skillet with lid heat the chicken stock.
- When simmering add the meatballs, being careful that they don’t touch.
- Cover and continue to simmer until done, stirring and turning the meatballs once or twice, about 15 minutes.
- To finish:
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbs chicken stock.
- When meatballs are done add the dill to the sauce and move the meatballs to the sides of the pan.
- Turn up the heat a bit and add the cornstarch mixture, stirring until thickened and clear.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the yogurt, mixing well.
- Serve, meatballs on top of or next to the pasta.
To quickly make meatballs the same size divide the mixture into quarters, then each quarter into quarters. Now form the 16 meatballs.
Keywords: Swedish meatballs, meatballs
I turned my new phone on today.
Yes, I know I ordered it a week ago. It actually was delivered on Friday, but, as nothing is simple any more I wasn’t able to turn it on until today.
Sim cards change sizes; SD memory cards change sizes and speeds; software has to be located, analyzed and downloaded so the stuff from my old phone can be transferred to my new phone.
I got my first mobile / cell phone in 1985.
For the first 25 years, when I changed phones, the new phone was smaller than the old phone and all I did to get the new phone was hand over my old one.
Now the new phone is bigger than the old phone and changing to the new phone involves hours and hours of work, a third computer, cables all over the house, an internet connection with decent speed and a frustrated, cursing human.
To be fair the ancient phones only made phone calls.
I don’t know if my new one will do that yet…..
It’s been a long day – best get it done so I can use my new phone tomorrow.