Savoyard means to be cooked in the manner of Savoy, a mountainous region in the east of France, bordering Switzerland.
It often involves a layer of creamy, melted cheese – like Gruyère, which is from Switzerland.
My original recipe, came from one of those recipe cards from the beginning of time and was made with artichoke bottoms.
But it’s asparagus season!
Okay, it’s also artichoke season, but I’m far too lazy to trim and cook 6 or 8 artichokes for their bottoms. In the winter, when I normally make this I use frozen. I can’t do that in the spring.
Besides…. It’s asparagus season!Print
Chicken and Asparagus, Savoyarde-Style
Traditionally made with artichoke bottoms, white asparagus is the perfect choice for spring. Use green asparagus if that is what you have – less cooking time and a bit of color..
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Cuisine: French, American
- 2 chicken breasts – boneless, skinless, cut in half
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek or plain yogurt, or sour cream
- 2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 3 tbs chicken broth
- 10 large white asparagus spears (or green)
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling – as if you were going to cook pasta.
- If using white asparagus, trim fibrous end and peel from just under the tip to the base.
- If using green, trim and snap off end.
- Boil white asparagus for 10 – 15 minutes; green for 6 – 8, in both cases depending on size. Test with a sharp knife.
- When done, drain and lay in a shallow baking dish, just large enough to hold everything. Set aside.
- In medium skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until tender.
- Add chicken breasts and sauté until chicken starts to brown.
- Add white wine, tarragon, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and arrange on asparagus.
- Increase heat under skillet to medium-high, add chicken broth and mustard to wine.
- When simmering stir in cornstarch mixture and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat; add yogurt.
- Spoon sauce over chicken / asparagus, sprinkle with cheese and bake in 400F (200C) for 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
The oven time is just for finishing. The dish can be prepared up to this point ahead of time. If done earlier, and refrigerated, increase oven time to 30 minutes
Keywords: chicken, asparagus
More spring flowers….
Two weeks ago, on our Thursday walk, we had blooming rapeseed on both sides of the road.
It was like walking through an Impressionist painting.
Well… except for the poles and wires….
At the end of this particular lane there is a little dog that runs to greet us every week.
She runs and jumps and barks for joy until we get to this corner, where we stop to pet her.
When we say good bye, she watches, quietly for awhile, then goes back to her house.
If our walk takes longer than usual, we always blame her…..