This is what one has for dinner when the intention is to have grilled chicken breasts and a salad but the temperature plunges, the wind comes up and it starts pouring rain.
The furnace / boiler had been turned off and both the fireplace and wood stove cleaned, so we had no heat.
It was only logical to turn the oven on.
As long as the oven was on I decided to put it to a good use: Dinner.Print
Chicken, Potato, Tomato Gratin
Chicken, Potato, Tomato Gratin, an easy dinner from the oven, finished with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Casserole
- Cuisine: American
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into large pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled, quartered
- 4 green garlic, thickly sliced, including green tops (or use green onion)
- 1 tbs fresh tarragon, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tbs fresh marjoram, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp salt (I use celery salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tbs Marsala or dry sherry or white wine (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Toss potatoes with oil and salt.
- Put into a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer, not crowded. Roast, 400F (200C) for 15 minutes.
- While potatoes roast, peel / chop / cut the rest of the ingredients.
- Remove potatoes from oven and add tomatoes, herbs, shallots, green garlic, Marsala. Stir well .
- Top with the chicken pieces. Sprinkle chicken with paprika.
- Return to oven and roast, 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and bake, 10 minutes longer.
- Remove and serve.
You could add carrots with the potatoes, or stir in chopped spinach before the cheese if you are looking for more veg….
I don’t remember why, as I was very young, but I remember my mother using the oven for heat. It was winter and very, very cold. For some reason we didn’t have heat in the house. She hung blankets over the windows and doors and had the oven on with the oven door open. Our kitchen was small so it was adequate. My mother, my baby brother and I spent the morning in the kitchen staring at the oven.
My oven just quit working. (The chicken dish was last night….)
We were given oodles of cherries so I decided to make a cherry crisp (recipe to follow). When I took it out of the oven it was a little darker than I expected, but I didn’t think anything of it.
I turned the oven off and went back to my desk.
Half an hour later, I went back to the kitchen and the oven was not only on but really hot. The element was bright orange.
We couldn’t get it to turn off.
Mon mari finally turned off the circuit.
We are not pleased.
I’m now going online to search for a new oven.