We all know that I can’t leave a recipe or idea as is.
Tampering, modifying, playing with…. all must be done.
I have always loved Taco Salads, but, while there is an underlying theme with all (or most) taco salads, they are not the same.
Except for that taco shell bowl thing in the US – that seems to be everywhere. I never found it to be calorie-worthy.
Since there is no set recipe for a proper taco salad, I decided to adapt it to my pantry of the moment.
Salads are the hot weather version of soup – anything (almost) works.
Click here to Pin Taco Salad, Mediterranean StylePrint
Taco Salad, Mediterranean Style;
You could skip the rice and add taco chips for a more traditional variation.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: American
- 8oz (240gr) ground beef
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters
- 1/4 cup Greek-style black olives
- 1/4 cup stuffed green lives
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Lettuce – enough for 2 main meal salads
- 3 tbs fresh oregano, basil or marjoram, chopped
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- Cook rice according to package directions – mine takes 16 minutes
- When done, uncover and remove from heat..
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chili powder, paprika, and sauté briefly (30 seconds).
- Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, beef, and continue cooking until meat is done. Remove from heat.
- Make vinaigrette:
- Mix ketchup, vinegar, chili powder, mustard, and Worcestershire.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Tear the lettuce and put into a large bowl along with the fresh oregano.
- Add 1/2 of the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Divide and arrange on 2 plates.
- Divide rice and arrange on lettuce.
- Top with beef mixture.
- Divide and add tomatoes, olives and feta to each plate.
- Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over the top, dividing evenly. Serve.
This is not suitable for making ahead as some of the ingredient are warm.
Keywords: taco salad, summer salads
I found my summer project.
My French teacher would be so pleased….
I’m going to update this blog.
I decided it was looking rather dated and needs some tarting up.
Maybe I’ll add constantly rotating photos in a carousel across the top.
Random recipes instead of the current post on the home page could be fun and exciting.
And maybe I’ll change the font color to a really pale gray.
I do want to be in fashion, now… Don’t I?
Criticism will be accepted…. Constructive criticism, please.
Now I have to go wash the lettuce for tonight’s salad.