We love making giant stuffed burgers….. and giant stuffed cheeseburgers.
I think it started when we stopped eating hamburgers on buns..
We can’t get buns here, and, as wonderful as French breads are, there really isn’t a substitute for a hamburger bun. They come close….. but not quite.
Besides, big stuffed burgers are fun.
You can fill them with lots of different stuff – just not all at once…. You need to be able to seal them.
There are a few more variations under BBQ Grill: Beef & Veal in the index.Print
Giant Stuffed Cheeseburger
Making a big, stuffed burger is fun, This one is filled with a savory breadcrumb mix, fried onions and cheddar cheese.Slice into wedges to serve.
I used Cheddar cheese but use your favorite.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- 12oz (350gr) ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2oz, (60gr) sliced cheese
- wire grill-basket or grill pan
- Sauté onion in olive oil in over medium-high heat until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Oil grill basket or grill cooking sheet.
- Divide beef in half.
- On plates or waxed paper pat each half into a thin patty, 6 – 7 inches in diameter.
- Put the ‘bottom’ patty in the grill basket, or on the cooking sheet.
- Mix bread crumbs, ketchup, soy sauce, mustard and garlic powder.
- Spread over 1 patty to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Spread fried onions on top of bread crumb mixture
- Place cheese on top of onions.
- Flatten the second patty a bit more and carefully put it on top
- Work the edges together with your fingers to seal.
- Cook on barbecue grill for 8 – 10 minutes over medium-high heat, carefully turn and grill another 6 – 8 minutes or until done.
- Hint: when cheese starts oozing out the edge it’s done.
- Remove to platter and let rest a few minutes
- Cut into wedges and serve.
This gets rather ‘high’ but it works. It’s fine if a bit of cheese starts oozing out but take it off quickly if it happens – it’s done.
You could also bake it in the oven on a baking sheet for 30 – 35 minutes, 400F (200C)
Keywords: stuffed burger, grilled burgers
Once again it was the weekend of la Félibrée, the Occitan festival held each year the first weekend in July in a city or village in the Dordogne.
This year it was in Périgueux, a lovely city about 90 minutes north of us. We’ve never spent any time there so this was a good chance for us to do some exploring.
I need to go back when the shops are open….
I had a bit of sympathy for the people in costume – it was a sunny, hot day.
But they had the energy to dance:
I couldn’t imagine – long skirts and petticoats….
It was fun watching them – And listening to the music.
More photos next time.