This is the penultimate salad of this season. (I like that word….)
We have been done eating them for a week or two but I didn’t want this to become a salad blog so I’m spacing the recipes.
We even managed to have a few ripe cherry tomatoes at the same time there was lettuce in the garden, which is a rarity.
Our heat wave broke on Friday. We had about 5 inches of rain over the next two days. Today, is sunny and a near perfect summer day with a high temp of 75F (24C).
My potager is coming back to life after being dormant in the heat. There were blossoms on all of the summer and winter squashes this morning and I picked a few ripe tomatoes.
Grilled Sausage Salad
Cooking both sausages and potatoes on the barbecue keeps the heat out of the kitchen making this a great warm weather salad.
Or use a skillet for both….
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: American
- 4 – 6 sausages, 10oz total weight (300gr)
- 2 medium potatoes (10oz, 300gr), cut into large bite-size pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/3 cup Greek olives, pitted, roughly chopped
- 3oz (90gr) feta cheese, cubed
- Lettuce – enough for a main meal salad for 2
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped chives
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- Coat potatoes with the olive oil.
- Cook in a pan on the barbecue grill for 20 – 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Cook sausages on the barbecue grill for 10 – 15 minutes, depending on size, until done.
- Remove and allow to rest for a few minutes.
- Cut sausages into bite-size pieces.
- Put lettuce and chives into a large salad bowl.
- Whisk mustard and vinegar together.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly.
- To finish:
- Add 1/2 of the vinaigrette to lettuce and toss to combine.
- Arrange potatoes and sausages in 2 rows down the center of the lettuce.
- Divide tomatoes and avocado and arrange in rows on both sides.
- Sprinkle with olives, feta and serve, with remaining vinaigrette on the side.
You can cook both potatoes and sausages in a skillet if you prefer.
Keywords: summer salads, main course salad
I managed to get a another beautiful sunset photoed before the heat wave.
I never tire of them.
We also get beautiful sunrises, but I’m usually busy with dogs and bunnies then….
As you can tell, this is the same sunset, photos taken a few minutes apart.
When I grow up I’m going to study sunsets…..