Apparently there has been a meme circulating that I missed – something about Karen and potato salad and raisins (Google it if, like me, you missed it).
This potato salad has no relationship, whatsoever, to that.
I grew up in the Midwest and potato salad was at every picnic, barbecue, birthday party, etc. all summer long.
Like classics of every cuisine around the world, there were / are as many iterations as there are cooks.
Some dressings are cooked, some not; some add eggs, some add celery and / or peppers and / or onions and / or pickles, some not.
No one adds raisins…..
My particular childhood favorite used lots of Miracle Whip and good, old ‘French’s Yellow Mustard’, aka: hot dog mustard.
I made some changes.
I lightened it up a bit using a bit Greek yogurt in the dressing.Print
Potato Salad, Midwestern Style
This is my, updated, lighter version of the Midwestern classic Potato Salad.
This recipes serves 4 – or 2 twice.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- 4 medium potatoes, 20oz (600gr) total, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped, about 2 ribs
- 2 tbs snipped chives
- 1 tbs good olive oil
- 1 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 3 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- Put potatoes in a steamer basket over an inch of water and steam over medium heat for 15 minutes or until done.
- Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar.
- When potatoes are done, put them into a bowl and immediately drizzle with oil / vinegar mixture.
- Stir well to coat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Peel and chop eggs.
- To make dressing: Put mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard in small bowl and mix. Taste – add more mustard if you like (I like a lot) or mayo or yogurt to get the flavor you prefer.
- Add most of the dressing to the potatoes and mix lightly.
- Add celery, eggs and chives, stir to combine.
- Add the rest of the dressing if needed – to your taste. Serve.
If you use the yellow, salad mustard you might want to increase it to 4 tbs.
Keywords: potato salad, picnics
The last of the photos from la Félibrée
I loved these musicians playing for the dancers – particularly the shoes on the guy in the middle:
Another of the costumed participants having a chat with a visitor.
It was hard to get close enough to this for a decent photo, but there were 2 guys dancing with 2 children and continually hoisting them up in the air,
There was a lot of giggling going on…..
And we say good-by to la Félibrée for another year…..