Grilled Duck Breast – aka Magret de Canard is, in our opinion, better than grilled steak.
As an added benefit, it suits the hidden pyromaniac in mon mari.
It is not something that I ever do in a skillet in the kitchen…. It would make a worse mess than pan-searing foie gras.
I did a slow-roasted duck breast once. It was perfectly medium rare all the way through. I liked it but mon mari said it lacked the flavor of the flames.
It remains a summer treat.
Magret de canard comes from the ducks that are raised for foie gras. The rest of the duck, wings, legs and thighs, are used in confit and are an essential ingredient in cassoulet.Print
Grilled Duck Breast
Magret de Canard, or duck breast is from a domestic duck, not wild, and is treated the same as a fine steak. We grill it to medium rare and slice to serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Duck
- Method: Grilling
- 1 duck breast (magret de canard)
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Cross-hatch fat on duck cutting through skin and fat just to meat of breast.
- Mix vinegar, soy sauce, thyme, garlic and rub into cuts. Let marinate 10 minutes or more.
- Cook duck breast on barbecue starting fat side down for 5 minutes.
- With long tongs turn breast over (mind your eyebrows) and continue cooking another 5 minutes.
- If there is any fat left on fat side put fat side down for a minute to burn off.
- Cook 2 minutes longer each side for medium.
- Remove from heat and take a peak (stick knife in center and make a cut).
- If done to your liking let rest a minute.
- When ready, cut in slices about 1/2″ (1.25cm) thick and serve.
Make certain barbecue is away from dried weeds, dried wood and low trees as it will flare. Most of the fat will burn off.
Keywords: duck breast, magret de canard
When we lived in Andorra we had a very small terrace, kind of tucked into the mountain, where we had the grills. There were overhanging bushes and trees.
I was certain we were going to burn down the whole mountain.
We kept the hose handy.
I did lose an oven mitt, though.
Mon mari, controlling the flames