This is a summer version of Potatoes Savoyard, cooked on the barbecue, wrapped in foil.
We’re been making this every summer for as long as we’ve been together.
Whenever I ask mon mari if he has a special request this is it.
Fortunately, it’s easy.
I use a sweet onion if I have one, or a red onion or a regular brown onion. They all tend to get sweet as they cook.
We both love sage so I add fresh sage leaves between the layers..
Click here to Pin Grilled Potato, Onion & Cheese PacketsPrint
Grilled Potato, Onion & Cheese Packets
Be careful when lifting them from the foil. The cheese melts and forms a crust on the bottom – the best part!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Potatoes
- Method: Barbecue
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced thinly by hand, 1/16th” thick
- 1 medium sweet or regular onion, sliced thinly by hand
- 4oz (120gr) Gruyère cheese, sliced thinly
- olive oil
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- aluminum foil – heavy duty (or use a double sheet)
- Lightly oil 2 square (as long as the package is wide) sheets of aluminum foil.
- Place 2 slices of potato side by side, place an onion slice halfway on the potatoes in the middle and 1 slice of cheese on the onion slice.
- Overlap 2 more potato slices, onion and cheese – repeating until you have used 1 potato and half the onion and cheese – or until you think you have enough.
- Use 4 sage leaves per packet, in every 2nd or 3rd row.
- You should end up with 2 rows of vegetables – 2 potato slices wide and about 5 inches long.
- Fold foil over, the 2 long sides first then the short (don’t worry about a tight wrap – we want steam to escape).
- Repeat with the other potato.
- Cook packets on barbecue grill for 25 – 30 minutes. Do NOT turn over.
- When done, potatoes and onions should be cooked through and the cheese will have melted and formed a golden crust under the potatoes.
- To serve carefully slip spatula under cheese – trying not to tear the foil and to maintain the shape of the potato/onion packet.
Can be baked at 400F for 30 minutes – just put packets on rack in middle of oven. You won’t get the nice, crispy cheese.
If you prefer, skip the sage and sprinkle the top with rosemary, or any other herb you like.
We like Gruyère but any firm cheese would work – like cheddar
Keywords: potatoes, cheese, onions
I don’t normally do prep photos, but in this case….
And make sure that the wrapping is loose – they’re easier to pick up and no cheese sticks to the top of the foil.
As long as I’m doing photos….
This is what mon mari gave me for my birthday last week:
Pretty, isn’t it?
To be clear….
He didn’t give me the sapphire & diamond ring.
He gave me the photo.
Years ago we stopped giving each other expensive things for Christmas, birthdays, etc. Instead we go out to dinner or we travel to some place fun (and go out to dinner…)
Still, thoughts are always appreciated.
Last year he gave me emerald earrings (a photo) to match the emerald pendant (also a photo) he had given me the year before.
I’ve always wanted a heart-shaped ruby…..
Maybe next year.