The summer squashes are still going strong in the potager.
Actually, after going dormant during the heat wave I was ready to pull them out and add them to the compost.
They looked dead.
Then we got a day of rain…. Lots and lots of rain.
It was too muddy to work in the garden so all 4 plants got a reprieve.
The sun came out, the ground dried up and the squash plants came back to life.
They look more lush and are producing more vigorously now than at the beginning of the season.
Time for more recipes…..
Click here to Pin Zucchini Rice SaladPrint
Zucchini Rice Salad
The cooked rice is combined with the sautéed zucchini and a light, oriental vinaigrette just before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock or whatever your rice calls for
- 1 small – medium zucchini (courgette) about 7 ” (17cm), sliced in half the long way and cut into 1/4″ (.6cm) slices.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame or walnut oil
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger or 1 tsp fresh, minced
- 1 tbs toasted pine nuts toast for 4 minutes, dry pan
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs water
- 2 tsp oil – sesame or walnut is best
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Cook rice in stock according to package directions.
- Heat medium nonstick over medium heat.
- Add pine nuts and toast, shaking pan occasionally until golden, 4 – 5 minutes. Remove nuts and set aside.
- In same skillet heat oils over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger and soy sauce and sauté briefly.
- Add zucchini and continue to sauté for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until zucchini is tender.
- Put all ingredients in small bowl and whisk well – will not emulsify.
- To finish:
- When rice is done put into a medium bowl.
- When zucchini is done add to rice.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss well.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve.
I use ‘Uncle Ben’s’ brown rice, which is what I can get and it is quick cooking. It looks like brown Basmati and cooks in 15 minutes. You could substitute regular Basmati, if you prefer/
Keywords: zucchini, summer squash, rice, salad
One of our suitcases has a zipper that’s coming apart. I had no idea if it could be repaired so I decided to take it to the guy that does shoe / handbag / luggage / anything leather repairs and ask. (No luck.)
Normally when I leave the house the dogs look at me with sad eyes then move to the pantry to lie down and wait for my return.
As I walked to the door with the suitcase they jumped up.
I opened the door and they raced out, spinning and jumping and doing the doggie happy dance.
They ran to the car and stood at the back, waiting to jump in.
I had no idea what was going on….. They never want to get in the car as it usually is a trip to the vet.
I could not get them to come back to the house.
They were determined to get in the car with that suitcase.
Then it dawned on me.
It was the suitcase.
Whenever we visited our friend in Spain we took that suitcase – and the dogs.
While we visited our friend our dogs got to visit their brother and aunts and uncles and cousins and play with all the other dogs in the village.
They got to nap with their big brother Ghengis.
They went on walks in the mountains and swimming in the streams with all the other dogs.
Our friend died 2 years ago this month.
Our dogs saw the suitcase and decided we were going to Spain.
It would seem that our dogs miss him as much as we do.