Chard Stuffed Baked Tomatoes
We love baked tomatoes… We love them even more when they have a luscious filling of chard and ricotta cheese
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- 2 large tomatoes, 7 – 8 oz each (225gr each), hollowed
- 1 large or 2 small shallots, chopped
- 1.5 oz chard leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbs fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbs ricotta
- 2 tbs shredded cheese
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet.
- Add shallots and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes
- Add paprika, chard and sauté until chard is wilted, about 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in oregano, basil and ricotta.
- To hollow tomatoes:
- Slice the tops off of the tomatoes and scoop out the center with a small spoon.
- Divide chard mixture and fill tomatoes.
- Put tomatoes in a small baking dish.
- Add enough water to equal 1/3 inch (1cm).
- Bake at 350F (175C) for 25 minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle shredded cheese on top of each tomato.
- Return to oven until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
When I hollow tomatoes I do an initial cross-cut in the center to get started, then it’s easy to finish with a teaspoon.
Keywords: stuffed tomatoes, chard