A mandolin is one of those kitchen tools that I don’t use often but is indespensible when I need it.
It makes short work of potatoes for gratins, and zucchini for these rolls.
Mine happens to be an expensive stainless steel mandolin that I bought from Williams Sonoma many years ago.
Before that, though, I had a cheap plastic version that I probably bought at a booth at the state fair for next to nothing.
The cheap one worked so well that I was inspired to be the steel version.
Cheap plastic just wasn’t up to serious kitchen use.
I’m sure there are other hand-held slicers that work equally well….
Click here to Pin Sausage Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini RollsPrint
Sausage Ricotta Stuffed Zucchini Rolls
This is a simple dish of thinly sliced zucchini wrapped around a sausage and ricotta filling with fresh tomato sauce. Celebrate the end of summer
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- 1 medium – large zucchini, Very thinly sliced, yielding 14 slices
- 12oz (360gr) sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8oz, (250gr) ricotta cheese
- 3 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups (15oz, 450gr) ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- Sauté onion, garlic in oil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add sausage and fry, breaking it up as it browns.
- Remove from heat.
- Fry tomatoes in butter just until soft. Add paprika, oregano.
- Add ricotta, basil, chili powder, to sausage onion skillet and mix well.
- Put the tomatoes in a baking dish large enough to hold 14 rolls.
- Put generous 2 tbs sausage mixture on each zucchini slice and roll up.
- Place seem side down on tomato sauce.
- Spoon some of the tomato sauce over the top, cover and bake, 400F (200C), for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve, spooning sauce over the top.
Slice the squash the long way using a mandolin or large slicer. They should be just thin enough to roll easily, about 1/16th inch. I got 14 slices out of one squash. Use a 2nd squash if needed.
Keywords: zucchini rolls, tomato sauce, sausage, ricotta
As usual, this time of year, our French school is starting. The kids have been back at it for a few weeks, but adult classes start later.
Also, as usual, I did not do my French homework over the summer.
The exercises in the textbook I can finish in the morning but the novel I was meant to read wouldn’t be quite so simple.
I did start it….
Actually, I’m over halfway through it. But then there is the book report and the author bio that all has to be done – in French, of course. I mean, that is the point….
In my defense (weak as it is) I’ve been doing my best to read it without resorting to Google translate.
Since it hasn’t been translated into English I couldn’t cheat and read it the easy way.
I’m going to read my book now….