Butternut Squash and Rice Gratin
This is an easy side dish of winter squash and rice. It can be made ahead and kept at room temperature for up to an hour, then the final baking done at the last minute.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Rice Side Dishes
- 1/2 cup Basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 8oz (250gr) butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- 1 medium – large leek, cleaned, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2oz (45gr) bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook rice in 1 cup of chicken stock until done. Remove and fluff,
- Heat oil and paprika in a large skillet.
- Add bacon, squash, leeks and sauté until vegetables are tender bacon is done, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, thyme, cover and keep warm until rice is done.
- To finish: combine rice, vegetables, yogurt and Parmesan.
- Spoon into a baking dish and bake, 400F (200C), for 15 minutes, until top starts to brown.
You can substitute a medium onion, chopped, for the leek and any winter squash, including pumpkin, in place of the butternut squash.
The recipe doubles or triples easily
Keywords: butternut squash, basmati rice, rice gratin