While I have a cave full of butternut squash my big blue Crown Prince pumpkins didn’t do as well.
First, they were kind of gnarly…. They all had these strange tan ridges / growths on the surface. I have no photos of them, sadly. The harvest was at the same time I was tending a sick Bonnie so taking photos of vegetables was not a priority….
I harvested, cured and stored 4 of them before we went away. When we got back one had a large soft area around the stem.
It went in the compost.
I harvested, cured and stored the remaining 4 when I got back. They had started later than the first 4.
2 of them developed the same soft spot.
Not wanting to donate any more to the compost I Googled.
I butchered the pumpkins, leaving the recommended space around the black, moldy bits, and the rest was just fine. I had caught the rot early and there really wasn’t much yet but that part did go to the compost.
All that to explain why we are eating pumpkin before we finish the butternut squash (pumpkin will normally keep for months, much longer than other winter squashes)
Click here to Pin Chicken and Pumpkin, Slow CookerPrint
Chicken and Pumpkin, Slow Cooker
An easy slow cooker dish for fall. I used pumpkin but butternut or any winter squash will work.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 12oz (360gr) pumpkin, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- Put onions, celery, garlic in the slow cooker.
- Stir in 1/4 of the chicken stock.
- Top with chicken in a single layer.
- Tuck the pumpkin chunks around the chicken, fitting them in.
- Combine remaining chickn stock, tapioca, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, herbs, and spices.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low, 6 hours. Turn chicken and stir once after 4 or 5 hours if possible
- Remove chicken and pumpkin to a platter, spoon sauce over and serve.
I didn’t actually peel the pumpkin. Mine was so large I cut it into reasonable pieces then cut the rind / peel away with a sharp knife, not worrying about the waste.
Keywords: chicken, pumpkin, slow cooker
I think I mentioned that it was challenging to walk through Chefchaouen without taking photos of absolutely everything…..
These are the last…. Aren’t the tiles lovely?
I love walking around a corner and finding a pretty square. It was lunchtime, so rather quiet.
Vines to protect the shops from the hot summer sun.
The colors were vibrant everywhere.
Did you notice how narrow the streets are?
That’s if for the Blue City…. Next: cats of the medina – well, a few, anyway.