Chicken and Pumpkin, Slow Cooker
An easy slow cooker dish for fall. I used pumpkin but butternut or any winter squash will work.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Slow Cooker Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 12oz (360gr) pumpkin, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- Put onions, celery, garlic in the slow cooker.
- Stir in 1/4 of the chicken stock.
- Top with chicken in a single layer.
- Tuck the pumpkin chunks around the chicken, fitting them in.
- Combine remaining chickn stock, tapioca, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, herbs, and spices.
- Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low, 6 hours. Turn chicken and stir once after 4 or 5 hours if possible
- Remove chicken and pumpkin to a platter, spoon sauce over and serve.
I didn’t actually peel the pumpkin. Mine was so large I cut it into reasonable pieces then cut the rind / peel away with a sharp knife, not worrying about the waste.
Keywords: chicken, pumpkin, slow cooker