This is an easy side dish made with cooked rice and frozen spinach. Even spinach haters love it!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Rice Sides
- 8oz (240gr) frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) quick-cooking brown rice or Basmati rice
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock (or whatever your rice calls for)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese
- In small saucepan over medium heat sauté onion in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté 1 minute.
- Add stock and cook according to package instructions.
- Thaw spinach and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine spinach, thyme and yogurt.
- When rice is cooked spread 1/3rd of the rice in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half of the spinach, then half of the cheeses.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with remaining 1/3rd of the rice.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400F (200C) until cheeses melt and flavors meld or about 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve directly from baking dish.
I use brown Basmati – both it and regular Basmati cook in 15 – 17 minutes
Keywords: rice florentine, spinach, gratin