We have had a very cold, wet, rainy fall. The farm ponds are all full to overflowing which is supposed to happen by the end of March, not the end of November.
I have no idea where the winter rains will go but I’m grateful to be on a hill.
We’ve been lighting fires earlier than usual, every day, and craving hearty, warming dinners.
The slow cookers are being used often.
On another topic, I have been noticing a change in our supermarkets. The 750gr (24oz) package of chicken thighs used to have 6 or 7 thighs, Now I’m buying a 700gr (22oz) package with 4 thighs.
Our chickens are getting bigger.
Click here to Pin Sesame Chicken, Slow CookerPrint
Sesame Chicken, Slow Cooker
This slow cooker chicken has a piquant, slightly sweet sauce using ‘fridge staples’ of orange juice and commercial barbecue sauce. Substitutions are suggested in the notes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) chicken broth
- 2 tbs tapioca
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 3 tbs barbecue sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs white sesame seeds
- 1 tbs black sesame seeds
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) Basmati rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- Put onion, pepper, garlic, and ginger in the slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth and tapioca and stir to combine.
- Lay chicken on top in a single layer.
- Mix soy sauce, orange juice, barbecue sauce, and brown sugar
- Spoon over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Stir to combine flavors about 30 minutes before serving.
- Combine rice and chicken broth
- Cook for 16 minutes or whatever your rice calls for.
- When ready, put rice on a platter or divide onto 2 plates.
- Spoon chicken and sauce onto rice.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, drizzle with sesame oil, and serve.
The recipe uses 4 chicken thighs, which is enough for the two of us. Use the number that suits you – or add a leg or two.
Substitute ketchup for the barbecue sauce and add 1 tsp more soy sauce and 1 tsp more brown sugar.
Use 1 tbs lemon juice for the orange juice – slightly different result but equally good.
Use all regular sesame seeds and walnut oil can be used for the sesame oil.
Keywords: sesame chicken, slow cooker chicken, chicken thighs
Most, if not all, castles have chapels in them.
Chateau de Biron has a regular size church.
It was very long… and empty. On the wall at one end were banners that had been made by the local students.
The banners proclaimed ‘Solidarity with families without papers’ and .I want to stay with my friends in France.’
They were welcoming immigrants.
Pivoting to the other end of the church….
This is the alter. There are some benches along the wall. They put out the chairs for services.
It’s a very simple, yet very impressive church. You can see 2 tombs in front of the alter.
A better view of the stained glass window.
And there is still more to come….
2 thoughts on “Sesame Chicken, Slow Cooker; castle church”
Our chickens here are huge! And at least in my area, chicken is very expensive. Pork is the least expensive of all the mainstream meats these days.
Beautiful church! I wondered if they put out chairs until you said that. The people used to enter churches and stand for the service. Sometimes for a couple hours. Can you imagine? Very rich churches finally put pews in, but I can’t imagine. My back is terrible after an hour at the sink!
Chicken used to be normal size and relatively inexpensive here. Now they’re getting huge and pricey.
One would have to have a strong faith to stand for hours in church…. Afraid that’s not me lol
I do like to go in and look around, though
Comments are closed.