I’m down to 7 butternut squashes and 2 big pumpkins.
Guapa is helping now.
After her bout with an intestinal upset I didn’t feed her for 18 hours. I had intended it to be 24 but I couldn’t hold out against that pleading look any longer.
Then I gave her the recommended white rice.
Turns out she’d rather starve….
Upon further research I discovered that pumpkin was also good to give dogs when they weren’t 100%,
Pumpkin – butternut squash…. Same thing. I roasted some butternut squash for her, added that to the rice and we are all happy. I think she prefers the squash to meat.
She would have been very happy with this strudel had we been willing to share.
Click here to Pin Bacon & Butternut Squash StrudelPrint
Bacon & Butternut Squash Strudel
This is an easy appetizer using purchased phyllo. It can easily be doubled or tripled for a party.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: First Course
- 1/2 cup shallot, chopped
- 3oz (90gr) bacon, chopped
- 1 cup (4oz, 120gr) diced butternut squash
- 2 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 sheets of phyllo dough
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Fry the bacon, shallott and squash until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Remove 1 sheet of pastry and re-wrap or cover the rest. It’s important to keep phyllo covered at all times or it will dry out very quickly.
- Lay the sheet out flat and brush all over with olive oil.
- Lay the second sheet on top and brush with olive oil.
- Spread the squash mixture on the narrow end of the phyllo, about 2 inches from the end and 1 inch from the sides.
- Roll the narrow end (with 2 inch edge) over and continue rolling it up, like a jelly roll.
- Carefully lift or roll onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the top with the remaining olive oil and bake at 400F (200C) for 15 – 18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- When done, remove to a cutting board, cut in large slices and serve.
Use sour cream or plan yogurt in place of Greek yogurt.
1/2 cup shallot is about 2 medium size shallots
Keywords: butternut squash, bacon, strudel
I’m jumping down a different rabbit hole tomorrow…. Setting up my new computer.
It’s been interesting and enlightening to do the research. When I first started working with computers it was with 1’s & 0’s. Things have changed a bit.
One thing that hasn’t changed is the attitude of the people coding. They are still a bit off the wall (as they should be) and unconventional.
I found a great, brief, step-by-step to getting a new computer working. One of the things recommended is to get rid of all the ‘bloatware’ that comes pre-installed on most computers.
Bloatware is all the unnecessary crap that one doesn’t want or need.
The free program to help one do this efficiently is called…. PC Decrapifier.