Bacon & Butternut Squash Strudel
This is an easy appetizer using purchased phyllo. It can easily be doubled or tripled for a party.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: First Course
- 1/2 cup shallot, chopped
- 3oz (90gr) bacon, chopped
- 1 cup (4oz, 120gr) diced butternut squash
- 2 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 sheets of phyllo dough
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Fry the bacon, shallott and squash until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Remove 1 sheet of pastry and re-wrap or cover the rest. It’s important to keep phyllo covered at all times or it will dry out very quickly.
- Lay the sheet out flat and brush all over with olive oil.
- Lay the second sheet on top and brush with olive oil.
- Spread the squash mixture on the narrow end of the phyllo, about 2 inches from the end and 1 inch from the sides.
- Roll the narrow end (with 2 inch edge) over and continue rolling it up, like a jelly roll.
- Carefully lift or roll onto a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Brush the top with the remaining olive oil and bake at 400F (200C) for 15 – 18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown.
- When done, remove to a cutting board, cut in large slices and serve.
Use sour cream or plan yogurt in place of Greek yogurt.
1/2 cup shallot is about 2 medium size shallots
Keywords: butternut squash, bacon, strudel