The only thing better than a long, slow-simmering soup is one that’s ready in under an hour.
I love lentils of all sizes and colors and I particularly love lentil soup.
This uses the three types of lentils I keep in my pantry:
- Lentils ‘du Puy’ – the small, green lentils that are so loved here in France
- Red or Coral lentils – the basis for ‘dal’ and popular in India. They are the fastest cooking of the lentils.
- Black or Beluga lentils – the smallest and also the most nutritious of the lentils
Of course there is butternut squash in the soup…..
And ham, because I love ham in soup.
Leave the ham out for a vegetarian version.
Click here to Pin Butternut Squash & Lentil SoupPrint
Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup
Red lentils do not hold there shape well so they are great for thickening the soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 1/2 cup green lentils ‘du Puy’
- 1/2 cup red or coral lentils
- 1/2 cup black, beluga lentils
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10oz (300gr) ham, cubed
- 8 cups of chicken, ham or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Sauté onion, garlic, celery in olive oil until tender and starting to color.
- Add paprika and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add all lentils, stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add squash, ham, and simmer 20 minutes longer, until vegetables are done
This is soup – use whatever lentils and other vegetables you have on hand. You can use any combination of lentils, or all one kind, and increasing the soup is easy.
Keywords: lentil soup, hearty soup, lentils
I don’t normally post a recipe on Thursday, but my site host is doing some major work tomorrow and suggested that I not do any updates during that 24 hours.
I can do that… or, not do that as the case may be.
I’m only telling you this in case there are strange things happening.
As if there aren’t already enough strange things going on in the world….