Bean Soup with Barley
I used sausage, but ham or ground beef would also be good.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 10oz (300gr) sausages
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 cups (15oz, 450gr) whole tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 1/2 cups (15oz, 450gr) red beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 1/2 cups (15oz, 450gr) white beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, sliced
- 1 onion, chopper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- Fry sausages in a large skillet, browning nicely. Remove and slice, .5″ (1.5cm) thick.
- Heat oil in medium pot or Dutch oven.
- Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic, sauté until tender.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except sausage, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add sausages and simmer 5 minutes longer.
The quick-cooking barley I use is done in about 15 minutes. If you have the traditional pearl barley it will need to cook for up to 45 minutes
Keywords: bean soup, barley soup