Lentils with Butternut Squash
I use the small, green lentils but regular tan lentils will work as well. You may have to increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- 1/2 cup small, green lentils du Puy
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups small, cubed butternut squash
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Rinse lentils, put in a small saucepan with chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes, while you do the next bit.
- Sauté onion, garlic, paprika, cumin in olive oil in a medium skillet.
- Add all remaining ingredients, the lentils and cooking liquid.
- Cover and simmer until squash and lentils are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
- Add a bit of water if it starts to dry out.
I bought a tomato at the supermarket, peeled it, chopped it and tossed it in. Precise measurements are not important.
Keywords: lentils. butternut squash