We had a discussion, chez nous, the other day, regarding the remaining winter squash in the cave.
There are 2 pumpkins and 2 butternut squashes (although 1 of the pumpkins is borderline….).
Mon mari decided it was time to quit. He, who has claimed to love winter squash above all things, has decided he’s eaten enough orange veggies for this season.
With visions of broccoli and Brussels sprouts and cabbage and cauliflower dancing in my head I agreed.
Today, when I was at the market, I was positively giddy looking at turnips and rutabagas and sunchokes and red cabbage….. So many choices and only a few weeks to enjoy them all before asparagus season takes over.
However, because I can’t abide waste, tomorrow I’ll be making a big kettle of pumpkin / butternut squash soup. There’s room in the freezer.
I have 2 or 3 squash recipes left to post over the next few weeks, then on to greener veggies…. Or, at least not orange.
I cook spaghetti squash well in advance and usually make 2 or 3 different recipes over the course of a few days.
Click here to Pin Spaghetti Squash with Sausage, Med-StylePrint
Spaghetti Squash with Sausage, Med-Style
I cook the squash ahead of time as it’s easier to handle when not right out of the oven. It reheats quickly in a skillet. It can be cooked and refrigerated 2 or 3 days in advance.
Cook time does NOT include baking spaghetti squash,
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Skillet Dinners
- 3 cups (15oz, 450gr) cooked spaghetti squash
- 10oz (300gr) sausages, cut into 1″ (2.5cm) pieces
- 4 – 6 shallots, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4oz (120gr) pimiento or roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped Greek olives
- 3oz (90gr) feta, crumbled
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add shallots and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add sausages, garlic and sauté until sausage is cooked through.
- Add tomato sauce, chili powder, marjoram and bring to a simmer.
- Add pimiento, olives and feta, heat through.
- Add spaghetti squash and heat through. Serve.
- Cut the spaghetti squash into 3rds the short way. Scoop out the seeds.
- Put into a baking dish with a bit of water, cover, and bake, 350F (190C) for about an hour, until the flesh is tender.
- Remove and allow to rest, covered, until cool enough to handle.
- Using a fork, scrape out the strands of squash and set aside until needed.
- Refrigerate extra squash for another use.
Keywords: spaghetti squash, sausage, feta, olives
One of my favorite recipes is this simple Spaghetti Squash Gratin. Depending on the size of the squash I’ll have 1 skillet dinner, 1 gratin, and maybe 1 simple stir-fry veg as a quick side.
As to my blog problems…. I have done what I can and now I wait to see what, if anything, happens.
Interesting, I complained to the appropriate places and was told that while I may be contacted for more information or proof of claim, I likely would not be notified of any decision or resolution.
Just business as usual, I guess.
I put a reminder on my calendar to check once a week and will do my best to let it go the rest of the time.
I have better things to do with my time and my mind…. I have broccoli, Savoy cabbage and red beets in the fridge!