Cornish Hens, Potatoes and Carrots Oven Dinner
Give the hens a head start while you prep the vegetables for this easy oven dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Roasting
- 2 Cornish game hens or poussin, about 1lb (500gr) each
- 1 lemon, washed, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut in thirds the long way, then halved or quartered lengthwise
- 2 ribs celery, cut in thirds the long way, then halved or quartered lengthwise
- 2 potatoes, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 small shallots or 2 large, cut in half, leaving cloves whole if possible
- Put a lemon half in each hen, then tie the legs together
- Put hens, breast side down, in a lightly oiled (or non-stick) baking dish large enough to hold everything.
- Put hens into 400F (200C) oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While hens bake prepare the vegetables.
- In a large bowl combine olive oil, lemon pepper, and paprika.
- Add all vegetables and stir well to coat.
- When ready remove hens from oven and turn breast side up.
- Put vegetables around hens.
- Pour remaining oil and seasonings over hens.
- Return to oven and roast another 40 minutes.
- Stir vegetables half way through.
- Remove and serve, pan juices on the side if you like.
I used a 9 X 13 pan (22.5 X 32.5) and the vegetables were a bit crowded but it wasn’t a problem. they were nicely roasted.
Keywords: Cornish hens, poussin, oven dinner