Fried Rice with Brussels Sprouts
The rice should be cooked in advance – but that could be 5 minutes or a day. I usually chose 5 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Rice Side Dish
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) brown Basmati rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 2 shallots, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 12 – 14 Brussels sprouts, trimmed, quartered through the stem (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs dry sherry (optional)
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- Cook rice in stock until done, about 16 minutes
- Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- If cooked in advance allow to cool. If needed immediately, spread on a plate for a few minutes while you start the veggies.
- Heat oils in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add sprouts, shallots, and sauté until sprouts are crisp tender, stirring often, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 5 minutes longer.
- Turn the heat up to medium high and add rice, soy sauce and sherry. Stir well to combine.
- Stir-fry for 3 – 5 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, stir once or twice and serve.
The brown Basmati I use cooks in the same amount of time as regular Basmati…. which you can use if you prefer.
I used both white and black sesame seeds – just for fun.
Keywords: fried rice, brussels sprouts