Lamb Tagine with Potatoes & Chickpeas
A tagine is both the cooking pot, with a conical lid, and the finished dish. Make it is spicy as you like.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Lamb
- 14oz (400gr) lamb, shoulder or leg, cut into large pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, (10oz, 300gr), cut into quarters
- 1 red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (15oz (400gr), rinsed
- 1/3 cup green olives, cut in half
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- pinch of saffron threads, crushed
- 2 tbs parsley
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oil in tagine.
- Add lamb and brown well. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, spices, and sauté until onion is tender and starting to brown.
- Return lamb to tagine, add stock, reduce heat and braise for 30 minutes.
- Stir in saffron.
- Tuck potatoes in, cover and braise 20 minutes longer.
- Add chickpeas, olives, parsley and braise 10 minutes longer.
- Uncover, admire for a few moments, inhale the aroma, serve.
The saffron adds a mild, but distinctive flavor but it’s expensive. There really isn’t a substitute. If you don’t have it add a bit more paprika, or even a bit of turmeric.
Keywords: tagine, lamb, chickpeas