This is a warm salad rather than a hot pasta main course.
It’s summer. We like food that can be finished, and then left to sit a bit while we enjoy the sunset and a glass of chilled rosado.
We never been particularly precise about mealtimes. We tend to be even more relaxed, both with the cooking and the eating, in summer.
The pandemic has given us an opportunity to re-think a lot of things…. like taking the time to sit on the deck, watch the bunnies nibbling the farmers corn, marveling at the glorious sunset and savoring the wine.
We can stop and smell the roses another day.
This is a summer pasta.
Click here to Pin Grilled Chicken Pasta SaladPrint
Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
This is an easy summer meal for 2. A warm pasta salad with grilled chicken breasts and sautéed vegetables – relaxed and easy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Pasta Salad
- Method: Grilling
- 1 1/4 cups (4oz, 120gr) pasta
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, quartered, then sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow squash, (8″, 20cm) cut in half lengthiwise, then sliced
- 3oz (90gr) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tbs fresh basil, large leaves cut or torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs good olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. When done, drain.
- Make marinade and spoon over chicken.
- Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Cook on barbecue grill for 8 – 10 minutes per side, turning once, or until done.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes. Slice.
- Whisk together vinegar and mustard.
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and sauté until tender.
- Add garlic, squash and sauté until squash starts to brown.
- Add tomatoes and pasta, stir to combine and warm slightly.
- Put pasta into a large serving bowl, add basil, vinaigrette and stir gently.
- Add Mozzarella, stir gently.
- Top with sliced chicken and serve.
Zucchini or any summer squash will work in this, just remember to pick them small. They grow into monsters quickly
Keywords: grilled chicken, pasta salad, summer squash
There are other things I learned during the pandemic lock-down:
I now know that long-life / shelf-stable milk is just fine, as is the orange juice.
I can be happy augmenting my daily fresh fruit fetish with frozen fruit.
I can order food online.
Well, that last thing I didn’t actually learn…. I’ve just never done it before. I’m not counting the smoked paprika I get on Amazon or the Lindt chocolates I order from Lindt at Christmas or the Spanish rosado I order from my favorite vineyard….. I’m talking every day stuff.
When we lived in the US I did the weekly shopping every Friday evening, after work.
When we lived in Andorra I did the shopping every Thursday – we played golf on Friday.
After we moved to France I switched back to Friday – I have no idea why.
During lock-down I started shopping less often. I rather like it. For the first time in my adult life I don’t have a regular shopping day. I’m doing what a lot of people have always done: shop when I need to.
My sister ‘ran to the store’ every few days. My neighbor here in France went at least twice a week, often more because she forgot something or changed her mind. I’m working on going every 10 – 14 days. I have a new system to make that possible. I order all the big stuff online and pick it up at the drive through. That takes care of the milk, juice, wine, beer, paper towels, etc…. everything that’s bulky or heavy. Then i continue on to the store to buy the fresh fruit, meat, and all the other small stuff.
I think I’m going to like this new plan.