I know it’s August, but I still have a few salad recipes to post. It’s still summer and lots of people actually buy lettuce so they can enjoy it for more then the short growing season.
For more ambitious gardeners, one can plant lettuce now to harvest in the cooler days of September.
The salad lovers of the world can never have too many recipes / ideas.
This Sausage, Potato and Goat Cheese Salad is one of our favorite summer salads. I wanted it again. I had goat cheese but no sausages.
Thus yet another recipe is born.
We were happy.
Click here to Pin Grilled Chicken and Potato SaladPrint
Grilled Chicken & Potato Salad
The potatoes and chicken are added to the salad while still warm. As you toss the salad that warmth combines with the goat cheese and vinaigrette to create a creamy dressing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs tarragon white wine vinegar
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 2 medium potatoes (10oz, 300gr total), cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 shallots, peeled, cut in half the long way
- 1 onion, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Lettuce – enough for 2 main course salads
- 3oz (90gr) soft goat cheese (chevre)
- large handful of fresh basil leaves, large leaves torn
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs white wine tarragon vinegar
- 4 tbs salad olive oil
- Mix marinade and pour over chicken, turning to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Coat the potatoes, onions and shallots with 1 tbs olive oil.
- Either cook in a pan on the barbecue or put on a baking sheet in a 400F oven for 30 minutes.
- When done remove and set aside.
- Prepare lettuce and put in a large bowl along with basil.
- Combine mustard and vinegar in bowl and whisk well.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil whisking constantly until it emulsifies (gets thick).
- Cook chicken breasts on grill for 8 – 10 minutes per side, turning once. Remove and set aside.
- When ready to assemble salad slice the chicken into bite-size strips.
- To finish:
- Add 1/2 of the vinaigrette to lettuce and toss to combine using tongs (or salad utensils).
- Add the potatoes, onions and shallots to the salad and toss to combine.
- Add the chevre to the salad with a spoon – just in small chunks.
- Add the rest of the vinaigrette and the chicken and toss well. Serve.
If you don’t like goat cheese you could substitute cream cheese (cream cheese with herbs would be good)
Keywords: main course salad, grilled chicken, goat cheese
It’s so easy, he said.
I don’t even notice the hills, he said.
I could go on all day, he said
There are very few things more pleasant on a warm summer day than a bike ride along the canal. The shady paths are cool and the sunlight glinting through the trees is mesmerizing.
All that with the added benefit of a good bit of exercise…. for one of us.
This was our first bike ride in 3 years. His bike was having problems shifting in late summer of 2017. In 2018 we had the big pool project and 2019 other things just seemed to get priority over bike repair and riding.
Last week a friend loaned him an electric bike for a few weeks.
It’s just electrical assistance, he said…. one still has to pedal, he said.
I can go as fast as you now, he said, as he passed me while I paused to take a photo.
For one of us, riding was not easier.
One of us still noticed the hills.
The speed was the same for one of us…. as was the length of the ride.
One of us did not want to go on all day.
But the enjoyment of a long ride along the canal was equally shared…..
Along with the picnic by the boats.