Remember all of those tomatoes?
I know you have been losing sleep due to curiosity as to what I would do with them all.
They’ve been ‘dealt with’.
The ripe ones were turned into Garden Tomato Soup and the 4 kilos (9 pounds) of green ones were divided according to shape and size. 2 kilos (4 lbs) went into the relish, 3 kilos (3.5 lbs) went into pickles and the rest were fried for dinner.
Recipes and credits follow.
The Green Tomato Pickles were based on this recipe for Quick Pickled Green Tomatoes
Click here to Pin Green Tomato PicklesPrint
Green Tomato Pickles
These are an easy, refrigerator pickle with a serious kick. They’re ready to eat in a day and will keep a month – or so I’m told….
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Pickles
- 4 cups green tomato wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, cut in half or thirds lengthwise
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) white vinegar
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) water
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 tsp dill seed
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs sea salt
- Put the tomato wedges into a clean 1 qt canning (bottling) jar or 2 smaller ones, packing well.
- Bring all of the rest of the ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally, until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Pour brine over tomato wedges. Top off with water if needed.
- Put the lids on the jars and let cool to room temperature.
I had a few wedges and a bit of brine left which I just put in a bowl in the fridge.
Keywords: green tomatoes, pickles
These have a serious, garlic-y pickle kick to them. I was surprised…. and pleased.
I doubled the brine and ended up with 2 – 3/4 litre jars, then I cut a few more tomatoes, added the rest of the brine and just put it into a bowl in the fridge.
We both love them.
The relish is based on this recipe for No Sugar Green Tomato Relish to freeze or can
I used what I had on hand – so the original recipe calls for twice as many onions, peppers and apples as I used. I think mine needed more apples to add a bit more sweetness. The original recipe also uses jalapeños and cilantro, neither of which I eat.
That being said, I ended up with 1 1/2 kilos (3 lbs) for the freezer, divided into 14oz (400gr) containers, and 400gr (14oz) in the fridge.
I like it….. mon mari loves it.
Click here to Pin Green Tomato RelishPrint
Green Tomato Relish
This is great as a topping for sandwiches or a side with grilled meats.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Category: Pickles
- 4 pounds (2000gr) green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 apples, chopped
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 tsp oregano
- Put all the ingredients except cumin and oregano into a large pot.
- Bring to a hard boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 – 1 1/2 hours, until the liquid has boiled down.
- Add the cumin and oregano, and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Mash a bit with a potato masher to break up tomatoes. This will also thicken it more.
- When cool, divide into freezer containers and freeze.
This could also be canned / bottled. See the original recipe link for instructions.
I just tasted this again…. as with most pickles / relishes, it’s getting better with age. I believe I’m starting to love it.
2 recipes are my max for 1 blog post….. You’ll have to wait a few days for the Fried Green Tomatoes!