It’s stuffed vegetable season!
I love stuffed vegetables: onions, peppers, squashes, mushrooms, tomatoes. I fix them often in the fall .
Since most vegetables need to be done in the oven I need to wait until the weather is cool enough.
2 weeks ago it was 35C (95F); last week it was 30C (86F); today is 12C (54F). Apparently we’re going from summer to winter without pausing at fall.
Why not? We skipped spring…. might as well be a 2-season year. It seems somehow appropriate for 2020.
So – bright side and all, we have a lovely fire in the fireplace and stuffed vegetables for dinner!
Click here to Pin Red Peppers Stuffed with Beef & BarleyPrint
Red Peppers Stuffed with Beef & Barley
We love stuffed peppers. I used all red but use whatever color looks best. Try to get 4-sided peppers as they ‘sit’ best for stuffing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) tomato sauce
- 3 medium – large red bell peppers, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup (2.8oz, 80gr) quick-cooking barley
- 1 cup (8oz, 250ml) beef stock
- 3/4 cup (3oz, 90gr) shredded cheese
- Cook barley in beef stock until done.
- Put a large pot of water on high heat and bring to a boil.
- When water is boiling drop peppers in and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove, drain, and put into a baking dish.
- In skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, celery and onion and sauté until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder and sauté 1 minute longer.
- Add beef and sauté until cooked through breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add tomato sauce, oregano, vinegar, soy sauce and stir well.
- When barley is done, add to beef and stir to combine.
- Spoon into the pepper halves, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400F (200C).
- Remove foil, top with cheese, and bake, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Quick-cooking barley cooks in about 15 minutes. Substitute small pasta (orzo) if you can’t get the barley. It is different than pearl barley.
If not all of the beef and barley fit in the peppers, keep warm and serve on the side.
Keywords: stuffed peppers, stuffed vegetables, peppers
On our last bike ride the canal was the busiest we’ve seen it all summer. This was the first time we’ve seen one of the ‘house boats’ on the move.
Naturally, we had to stop and watch:
It had only been in the lock a few minutes when we got there. That is the ‘lock house’ on the other side. Before automation someone would have been living there to tend the lock for the boaters. Now they are mostly empty.
We weren’t the only bikers that stopped to watch.
The locks fill up surprisingly fast.
This is the other end of the boat. It’s one of the bigger ones on the canal. The living quarters are all inside this section (I think). There are windows – it just hadn’t come up high enough at this point to see them.
Almost ready to go through….
And they’re off!