I love soup as everyone knows.
Mon mari loves meatballs – as does most of the rest of the world, including me. He is not very fond of having soup as a main course.
Always one to look for compromise, meatball soup is a favorite at our house. I make several different kinds.
This one is for fall, when the chard gives one last growth spurt before I pull it out and quit gardening for the winter.
Yes, I know…. I don’t have to stop growing vegetables here. I could have Brussels sprouts and leeks and broccoli growing well into January. I just have no desire to be tending my garden in the mud wearing a winter jacket. It’s a warm sunshine activity.
An easy trick for making small meatballs of roughly the same size for soup (or anything): Divide the meat mixture in half, then each half into thirds. Make 4 meatballs out of each third for a total of 24 meatballs. For larger meatballs divide each half in half….
Click here to Pin Meatball Vegetable SoupPrint
Meatball Vegetable Soup
This is full of healthy vegetables and makes a hearty main course. Pair it with fresh bakery bread or make some easy biscuits (recipe link below).
This serves 6 – 10 depending on what you have with it, and freezes well.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- 16oz ground beef (500gr mince)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (16oz / 450ml) beef stock
- 1 litre (quart) tomato juice
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 8oz (250gr) chard, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (15oz, 450gr) white beans, drained, rinsed
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- In large Dutch Oven (soup kettle) heat the beef stock and tomato juice over medium-high heat.
- Mix egg, breadcrumbs, oregano, basil and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add ground beef and mix well.
- Form into small meatballs, 1″ (2.5cm) in diameter.
- When stock/juice is boiling slowly add meatballs, keeping them separate until they start to cook.
- When soup is boiling again (after addition of meatballs) you can start adding the rest of the ingredients as they are ready.
- When raw vegetables are in, add herbs, chili powder, beans, and barley.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender and barley is done.
Prepare and add the vegetables in the following order: carrots, celery, onion, cabbage, chard. Keep the soup simmering while you work.
Add barley last. By the time the barley is done, 15 – 20 minutes, everything else should be done.
Keywords: meatball soup, vegetable soup
One way I get mon mari to be happy when I make soup for dinner is to also make biscuits.
Since I like easy, no-fuss recipes I usually make drop biscuits. There is no rolling or cutting so no risk of working the dough to much. They’re just ‘dropped’ off of a spoon.
This recipe for Oatmeal Drop Biscuits makes 6 biscuits in under 30 minutes.
Serve warm, right from the oven…. with butter, of course.
They’re even good the next day.