I put winter squashes in stir-fries.
Why not put a stir-fry into a winter squash?
My Delicata squash are mainly in 2 sizes this year: huge and tiny. The tiny ones I’ve been doing as a first course or doing one each for a side dish. The huge squashes just seem to be begging to be stuffed.
When I stuff peppers I usually tend towards a tomato based filling but, to me, that just doesn’t sound right for a winter squash. I may be wrong. I’ll actually probably try it as I’m running out of other ideas and still have a lot of Delicatas left. I’ll let you know.
In the meantime, this easy stir-fry is our favorite so far.
Click here to Pin Stir-Fried Turkey Stuffed Delicata SquashPrint
Stir-Fried Turkey Stuffed Delicata Squash
The stuffing is made while the squash bakes, then both are put back in the oven to heat through if needed. Serve with rice or quinoa on the side.
Thinking ahead – this could be easily made with leftover turkey.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: One Dish Dinners
- 1 large delicata squash, or 2 medium, cut in half, seeds removed
- 10oz (300gr) turkey, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs minced, fresh ginger
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) chicken stock
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch (Maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Place squash halves cut side down in a baking dish and bake in 400F (200C) oven for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, celery for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, turkey, and sauté until turkey is cooked through
- Add chicken stock, soy sauce, sesame oil, cover and simmer gently until onion & celery are tender.
- Add cornstarch mixture, stirring until sauce has thickened.
- Keep warm until needed.
- When squash are ready remove from oven, turn over and fill with the turkey mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 5 – 10 minutes, until heated through.
If everything is hot there is really no need to put them back in the oven. I just use that few minutes to clean-up the kitchen….
You can substitute 1/2 tsp ground ginger for the fresh ginger.
Keywords: delicata squash, stuffed squash, turkey stir-fry
Because this is a food blog, not a political blog, I have nothing to say on any of the most recent current events.
On the other hand, as it is a food blog and grapes are food, I can say that the champagne has been flowing freely chez nous.
And that’s all I’m sayin’…..
(There are plenty of people saying everything else everywhere else.)