My mother was not an adventurous cook or eater. She liked the familiar.
I didn’t taste broccoli, cauliflower or Brussels sprouts until I was an adult living on my own. That’s when I discovered frozen vegetables.
My mother never bought frozen vegetables.
I was so excited when I tried Brussels sprouts for the first time. Despite the fact that they were covered in cheese (Bird’s Eye Frozen) I thought they tasted like little cabbages. My mother loved cabbage. I told her about my find.
Turns out she loved cabbage but hated Brussels sprouts.
I didn’t stop trying to introduce her to new foods, but I was definitely less excited about the effort.
I never did get her to taste a shrimp.
Happily mon mari shares my love of vegetables.
Click here to Pin Brussels Sprouts, SautéedPrint
Brussels Sprouts, Sautéed
Slicing Brussels sprouts lets them fry quickly and absorb the flavors.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Vegetables
- 12 – 15 medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed, sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sprouts, cut side down, and sauté until lightly browned and crisp-tender, 7 – 10 minutes, checking occasionally so they don’t get too dark.
- Turn and sauté on the other side for a few minutes longer.
- Combine soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add to skillet and turn the sprouts over to coat
- Let simmer, cut side down for 2 – 3 minutes longer.
I slice the sprouts in half, thirds or fourths depending on size. Some can be quite large. They should be between 1/4 and 1/3 of an inch thick (about .5cm)
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 142
- Sugar: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 256.1 mg
- Fat: 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.6 g
- Fiber: 5.4 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Brussels sprouts, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar
The sunrise – looking in the other direction:
This is facing the actual place that the sun comes up. At the moment it’s over the house on the rise on the right so by the time the sun is visible it’s full daylight.
I like this time best.