This may be the last time we have Cheddar Cheese Mashed Potatoes.
In watching the news this morning we learned that the people (British) who make cheddar cheese are finding it very challenging to ship the cheese to Europe – thanks to Brexit.
I’m sure that TPTB (The Powers That Be) did not intentionally try to make life difficult for those that have no power, and yet, it would seem they have done it.
At least for now.
More on that later…. For now, we are enjoying our last bit of cheddar. In the future we will have to make do with one of the 1,000 or so French cheeses.
I think we’ll manage…..
Click here to Pin Cheddar Cheese Mashed PotatoesPrint
Cheddar Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Lightly stir the shredded cheddar into the hot potatoes just before serving; some will melt into the potatoes giving them a lovely golden color, some will turn into trails of molten cheese.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Potatoes
- 2 medium potatoes, (10oz, 300gr total weight)
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 – 2 tbs milk
- 1 tsp fresh or dried chives
- dash salt
- Put potatoes in medium saucepan and add just enough water to cover.
- Add salt, cover, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When boiling (and pay attention or they will boil over) reduce heat and take cover partially off. Continue cooking until done, 15 – 20 minutes.
- They should be very done, easily coming apart when poked with a fork.
- When done, drain and put back on the heat 10 seconds or so to evaporate any excess moisture.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher (or fork if you don’t have one).
- Add butter and enough of the milk to get your desired consistency.
- Add half the cheddar and stir well.
- Add the remaining cheddar and stir lightly.
You can substitute Edam, Gouda, or Swiss for the Cheddar.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 331.2 mg
- Fat: 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 34.9 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 11.4 g
- Cholesterol: 43.5 mg
Keywords: mashed potatoes, cheddar mash
The other example on the news that we saw was from the fishing industry.
It is my (incomplete) understanding that one of the reasons many people in Britain were in favor of Brexit was that they were angry about their fishing rights. Fishing rights were / are coordinated between all members of the EU.
Now, after Brexit, there is no longer any regulating by the EU as to where or what or how much the British fishing fleet can catch.
There is now, however, all sorts of nasty paperwork that has to be done for exporting the catch, and then all the waiting to get through customs, figure the taxes, etc.
It’s taking so long to get the catch to the fish markets in Europe that crustaceans, like crabs, that are supposed to arrive alive are arriving dead and have to be discarded. The fish that are already dead are too old to be sold.
Apparently, TPTB didn’t think of that or thought it would ‘sort itself out’. One can hope they are trying to find a solution.
Personally, I lost access to my favorite yarn shop.
And cheddar cheese.