Some of you may wonder why I always add potatoes to our main course salads.
Sometimes I add rice or quinoa.
Sometimes, we just stop at the bakery and buy some interesting bread to have… but, usually we forget.
The reason we always have carbs with our salad is because mon mari is a T1 diabetic. Contrary to what a lot of people believe, and a lot of diets promote, carbohydrates are a necessary part of the human diet.
Carbs fuel the brain. Think about that – take all the time you need…..
Human diabetics need carbs. They just need to control the quantity. (Well, everyone else should, too.)
I never pay attention to how much lettuce goes in our salads – or tomatoes or capers. I always weigh the carbs.
I used 4oz of smoked salmon and 4oz of the leftover home smoked salmon from this recipe. I realize that not everyone will have home-smoked salmon….
Click here to Pin Salad with Smoked SalmonPrint
Salad with Smoked Salmon
I use potatoes in this to round out our meal. You can have some fresh bread instead.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- 6oz (180gr) smoked salmon, cut into pieces
- 10oz (300gr) potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 8 – 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 – 10 large capers
- 8 – 10 marinated artichoke hearts, cut in half if large
- lettuce for 2 main course salads
- handful of fresh marjoram leaves
- Creamy Tarragon Dressing:
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbs white wine tarragon vinegar
- 1 tbs fresh chopped tarragon leaves
- 2 tbs salad olive oil
- 4 tbs Greek or plain yogurt
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes and sauté for about 15 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the mustard and vinegar.
- Slowly add the olive oil, whisking well until thickened.
- Whisk in tarragon and yogurt.
- To Finish:
- Prepare lettuce, tear and put in large bowl.
- Add marjoram leaves.
- Add half the dressing and toss well.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, and toss well to combine.
- Taste and add more dressing if needed.
- Divide and put on two 2 plates.
- Top with avocado, salmon, artichoke hearts, capers and serve, remaining dressing on the side.
You could substitute grilled or poached salmon for the smoked salmon, and 1 tsp of dried herbs for the fresh.
Sour cream works in place of the yogurt, but only use 3 tbs.
Keywords: smoked salmon, main course salad, salads
Summer has arrived chez nous.
How do I know this?
I just rescued the first lizard from the bathtub.
For those of you who don’t know, we have windows that open inward, like doors. That’s so we can lean out to grab the shutters to close. That means that we don’t have screens like the ones in the U.S. Our screens (built by mon mari) sit in the open window frame and are removed to close the window. A bit of a breeze can move them within the frame, creating gaps on the side.
Lizards like to come through the gap in the bathroom window.
The window is next to the tub.
The lizards come in and fall in the tub…. where they frantically run in circles, trying to climb out and falling back.
I rescue them.
If I put a little box in front of them, they run in. Then I slap something on top and carry them outside.
Makes me feel so useful.