We use a basket when we make these. It makes it so much easier to flip them. Lightly rub with olive (or vegetable oil) first so the burger doesn’t stick.
You could also use a grill pan or mat with a big spatula. Or maybe 2 big spatulas….
One could almost call this a stuffed meatloaf but ‘Burger’ is just so much more summer-like….
Regardless of the name, cut it into wedges to serve; no bun required.
Filling can vary to suit your tastes, mood and what’s in the fridge.
Click here to Pin Big Stuffed BurgerPrint
Big Stuffed Burger
A big burger with a surprise inside! Fill it with whatever you like.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Beef
- Method: Roasting
- 12oz (350gr) ground beef (mince)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus a bit extra for basket / pan
- 2 tbs dry bread crumbs
- 4 tbs ketchup, divided
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce, divided
- 1 tsp chili powder, divided
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 2oz, (60gr) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Greek or Kalamata olives, chopped
- Wire grill-basket or a mesh grill pan
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Oil grill basket or mesh pan.
- Combine beef, crumbs, 1 tbs ketchup, half the Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp chili powder and all the mustard.
- Divide beef in half.
- On plates or waxed paper pat each half into a thin patty, 8 or 9 inches (20 – 23cm) in diameter.
- Put the ‘bottom’ patty in the grill basket or pan.
- Spread onion / garlic, feta cheese and olives to within 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Flatten the second patty a bit more and carefully put it on top and work the edges together with your fingers to seal.
- Mix remaining ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and Balsamic vinegar for a basting sauce.
- Grill for 8 – 10 minutes over medium-high heat, carefully turn and grill another 8 – 10 or until done, basting each side with the sauce.
- Carefully remove from basket or grill pan and put on a platter or large cutting board.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Substitute your favorite olives and / or cheese but try to use a cheese that does not melt quickly so it stays inside the burger.
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 13.1 g
- Sodium: 1042.4 mg
- Fat: 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.3 g
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 42.8 g
- Cholesterol: 126.9 mg
Keywords: stuffed burger, big burger, summer grilling
After another week of hot weather our temps have cooled off again.
That would make it a perfect summer – if the sun would stay shining.
Instead we have light showers, sunshine, clouds, sunshine, light showers, and so on. Never enough sun to warm things up which makes Guapa happy but never enough rain to prevent me from having to water.
It is, however, just enough rain to keep the grass green which means mon mari is not getting his mid-summer mowing break. Usually the lawn is dead by now but this year he still has to mow every week.
Still…. if our old girl is happy, we are happy. The hot weather was hard on her.
She’ll even come outside for a short walk when the sun shines.
And, as our neighbors can attest, she is still up for her nightly bark and fence patrol just before bedtime. We have no idea what she barks at, but it has been the nightly ritual since she was a puppy. Even without Bonnie to help she has never missed a night.